Friday, May 29, 2009

“I am a part of all that I have met.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson

This is true of me and I’ve carried this phrase in my head since twelfth grade English with Mrs. Spruill. (Those who have known me that long will be surprised I actually retained anything.) I am a result of all the people, education, experiences, friends and relationships I have come in contact with. This is equally true of everyone else. That we don’t all experience the same from childhood, family life, youth, friends, school and relationships is part of what makes us individuals. It is these same differences that aid our bonding as friends.

Differences can be topics of interest and causes of attraction. These differences can also be the roots of many problems. This is where the importance of open, honest, continual communication is extremely critical to prolonged success.

I am not an expert on creating or fixing these things or providing specific relationship advice. The real truth is that I’m a single guy, once previously married unsuccessfully. The revelations of my manuscript will probably do more to keep me single for life than anything else I could possibly do or any quirks I already exhibit. In the yin yang balance of life, I guess you could deduce that my failure at marriage actually provided an opportunity for me to showcase my success at divorce.

If my perfect match does exist….she is doing a great job of hiding. If she is out there and stumbles across my book before getting to know the real me then that
alone may possibly ensure we proceed no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment