Monday, July 13, 2009

Searching for the One

I didn't intend my message to read like a sermon and
I will be the first to tell you that I am not an expert on
the subject. I have spent several years conducting
intensive research, numerous interviews with many
people from a variety of cultural backgrounds and life
experiences, exploring the situations we get
ourselves into and examining the extreme
differences between men and women.

We are very different creatures with varying ideas,
goals and perspectives on most everything. Even
with these vast gaps separating us we feel an urge
for companionship. We all want someone to love but
what gives us greater comfort, what we truly crave, is
the feeling that we are loved. The real desire is to be
on the receiving end of love.

The desire for these feelings can make us sense that
we are incomplete until we by chance find something
that feels like what we have imagined. Unfortunately
we don't really know what we are searching for and
we often allow our dreams to exceed reality.
Relationships are incredibly time intensive and take
a whole lot of work.

Very often we become frustrated by a sense of
imbalance between what we are giving and what we
are receiving. It’s all about perspective and that's not
something I can easily identify or prescribe for
another person as we are all different. What we are
today is a product of our cumulative life experiences.

Here I am preaching again! Sorry, but I'm just trying
to answer your question as clearly as possible.
Actually you touched on an extremely important
issue. If you are looking too hard; trying to make
every contact conform to your dreams and ideals
then you are actually building a wall around your
heart.

You cannot force the feelings of another and you
should not try to force your own feelings. Allow
things to grow with time. Plant the seed, fertilize the
soil and tend the field; yet remain patient. You can
block me and others who you believe may not meet
your immediate need, but every brick you lay to keep
others out will ultimately work to seal you in.

Again, I am not an expert and I am by no means
perfect. I am a real man who has felt love and loss.
I've experienced the quickening of breath as my
female partner comes into sight, felt my day begin
with the smell of her on my pillow; and I have also
suffered the extreme pain of betrayal.

You may find that you are really a whole lot like me:
full of doubt and fear, yet still searching for that
critically important and ultimately elusive missing
piece. The greatest challenge each of us will face is
to remain on track, keeping sight of your dreams,
while never ever allowing them to cast a shadow
across your own self respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment